Who we are
Balanced is an early-stage, venture-backed startup creating a digital fitness platform to build a healthspan that matches our new lifespans. The next frontier of healthcare is preventative – not reactive. The industry today focuses a large majority of resources on reactive treatments for disease. We are committed to helping older adults maintain vibrancy in their lives, with an exercise platform that promises community, joy, and a personalized experience to rebel against the decline of aging.
We’re proudly a NYC-based company with a hybrid schedule. We’re in pursuit of product-market-fit and co-locate at our production studio on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Engineering joins the rest of the team on Wednesdays for Balanced Weeklies (our version of an all hands).
First and foremost, we're looking for people who are excited about what we're doing. We're building a product for healthy aging (50+) to have a true impact on their physical and mental wellbeing. You'll help us creatively solve problems and delight our customers. The scope of impact is as wide as it gets – acquisition, onboarding, and engagement. We’re designing a digital fitness experience for the 100M 50+ in the United States. To say your impact will be big is an understatement.
As our third engineering hire, you will be pitching, developing, and shipping in tandem with two other engineers, a product manager, and a product designer. On the whole, you’ll also have cross-functional collaboration with our creative direction, content, clinical, marketing, and video production team.
You’ll thrive in this role if you like fast-paced exploration, have a passion for iterating quickly, and are passionate about setting a foundation for the engineering culture at Balanced.
Our web stack is Next.js (TypeScript, React, Node / Express, Postgres, Tailwind, and GraphQL). Services we use are Google Cloud, Sanity CMS, Auth0, TypeForm, Vimeo, and Google Tag Manager.
Here are some possibilities of future work:
- Building a recommendation system to route older adults into safe and effective exercise classes based upon their unique profiles,
- Design delightful and performant React UIs across multiple devices,
- Implementing end-to-end features to improve the user experience of navigating a large content library,
- And improving our event sourcing architecture with robust services.
This list is not exhaustive at all, and you'll have a lot of autonomy over your work.
Why you might be excited about us
- We're working to improve the quality of life and extend years for older adults. If you love health/wellness, fitness, and improving the lives of our aging population, you'll love helping build our product.
- We're small, so you'll be able to contribute efficiently over big areas of our product.
- You’re not only comfortable in ambiguity, but you can thrive in ambiguity.
- You'll have a huge impact in setting not only the engineering culture but company-wide culture. (We're big fans of continuous improvement across all levels.)
- We'll mold your role to shape a career you're excited about. We care a ton about your satisfaction and job happiness and will help prep you for whatever you're looking for in the future.
- We work hard and also highly value balanced work/life. We care about your family and personal development and don't expect you to be always engaged with work.
Why you might not be excited about us
- We're small, so if you like more established companies, it's not (yet) the right time. You'll help us define and build our company's culture.
- Since we're an early-stage startup, projects and priorities may shift.
- We can't (yet) provide close mentorship for junior developers. As we grow, we'll get a lot better at this.
- Since you'll have a lot of responsibility and creativity over projects, they may not be defined perfectly initially. You'll be expected to bring your own experience and perspective to help us do the right things, and raise flags if you think we should do things differently.
None of these are requirements but do describe the kinds of people that we think would be most effective at Balanced right now.
- 5+ years experience shipping high-impact and successful digital products.
- Love thinking broadly about problems to creatively and efficiently solve them.
- Happy to try things out to validate new features, and move on if they no longer serve a problem.
- Excited for a front-row seat at an early-stage company. Things will change a lot!
- Enjoy thinking through trade-offs, with both mindfulness of short-term needs and our long-term direction.
- Happy writing documentation so that others can ramp up super easy and you're never a single-source-of-failure.
- Experience with building & running production services at scale is preferred (automated linting/e2e testing, CI/CD, observability, scalability, reliability).
Compensation and Benefits
Our benefits include mental, dental, and vision insurance in addition to flexible paid time off policies.
The compensation for this role includes salary, equity, and our employee benefits package. The target salary for this role is dependent on level of experience, and ranges from $125,000/yr - $175,000/yr, which may be adjusted higher or lower in exchange for less or more equity during the offer phase.
We determine our compensation using benchmark data from Pave for companies of our size & stage, based on the Bay Area / New York City market.