About Marker Learning:
1 in 5 students has a learning disability such as dyslexia, which makes it harder for them to read, spell and write--despite their intelligence. While receiving a proper evaluation for a learning disability could be the most impactful event in a student's life, only 4% of students receive a diagnosis because of the high costs of evaluations and lack of access to qualified psychologists. Undiagnosed students are 3x more likely to drop out of high school, 5x more likely to be unemployed, and tend to experience elevated levels of anxiety and depression. It's estimated that early diagnosis of dyslexia and other learning disabilities could save the US over 72 billion dollars of economic impact and drastically improve the lives of millions of people.
Marker Learning is on a mission to make learning disability (e.g. dyslexia) assessments and diagnosis easier and more affordable for schools and parents. By leveraging proprietary technology developed by leading experts at Johns Hopkins, the end-to-end evaluation is completed in half the time and at 1/10th the cost of typical in person evaluations. We are a rapidly growing start up, backed by some of the most mission driven and reputable venture capital firms and education non-profits.
Join us in our mission to inspire and support all students on their unique learning paths.About the Role:
Marker Learning is seeking a Math Tutor with a Special Education Focus
who will conduct 45 minute lessons via Zoom with students on math concepts relevant for grades Kindergarten and up. You will decide your schedule each week (from 4-30+ hours) and work from anywhere with our remote-first model. You'll have the opportunity to enjoy the flexibility to work when it's convenient for you - whether that's after school, evenings, and even weekends!
This is a unique opportunity to be part of a fast growing company on a mission to expand access to high-quality support for people with learning differences.
The Marker Learning platform has given thousands of students access to high-quality learning evaluations at an affordable price, and we have a strong pipeline of students who are looking for great reading, writing, and math support. Our platform and dedicated team members take on the administrative burden, so you can focus on what matters - helping students reach their potential.Key Outcomes:
The most important skills for the role are*:
- Conduct 45 minute lessons via Zoom with students on math concepts relevant for grades K+
- Develop lessons that are engaging, appropriate for the student, and grounded in research-backed methods
- Communicate with parents and/or students about progress and scheduling via email, secure message, or (in some cases) video conferencing
- Draft weekly lesson notes that detail student progress, content covered
- Comply with confidentiality and laws and Marker Learning policies
In addition to the above it would be great if you had:
- 2+ years of experience teaching student with learning differences, such as ADHD, dyscalculia, or dyslexia
- Significant experience teaching math concepts in group or 1:1 settings
- Ability to work from a private location with consistent, high-quality WiFi to ensure confidentiality and quality of online lessons
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Professional manner and a willingness to learn our platform
- Comfort and working knowledge of computers and computer programs (e.g., ability to conduct a Zoom meeting, enter data into online portal)
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Education, Special Education, or a related field (Master's degree is a plus)
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
- Experience teaching remotely
- Experience teaching or coaching individuals in reading, writing, executive functioning, or financial literacy
- We know people from historically underrepresented communities are less likely to apply if they don't meet all of the above criteria. Please apply anyway! We want people who are fast learners, eager to take on new challenges and will help us build a best in class company that will change what it means to age.
At Marker Learning we know that our people are indispensable to achieving our mission, and we are building an inclusive environment that enables everyone to do their best work
. In that spirit, we deliberately hire people from all walks of life — including, but not limited to race, gender identity, sexual orientation and disability status. If you're motivated by our mission and eager to contribute to our team and culture, we'd love to hear from you.Compensation:
We're committed to an inclusive, consistent, and equitable approach to compensation and anticipate that this position will earn between $30-34 per hour. The exact compensation will depend on (1) how many years of relevant and transferable experience you bring to the role and (2) the internal level at which you are hired in relation to our career development framework.
We are a mission driven team out to provide reliable and affordable testing to every student who requires it. We believe that Marker Learning has the potential to change the evaluation landscape across the country. If you are as passionate as we are about this, we'd love to hear from you!
We are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. Marker Learning provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.