About Marker Learning:
1 in 5 students has a learning disability such as dyslexia, which makes it harder for them to read, spell and write--despite their intelligence. While receiving a proper evaluation for a learning disability could be the most impactful event in a student's life, only 4% of students receive a diagnosis because of the high costs of evaluations and lack of access to qualified psychologists. Undiagnosed students are 3x more likely to drop out of high school, 5x more likely to be unemployed, and tend to experience elevated levels of anxiety and depression. It's estimated that early diagnosis of dyslexia and other learning disabilities could save the US over 72 billion dollars of economic impact and drastically improve the lives of millions of people.
Marker Learning is on a mission to make learning disability (e.g. dyslexia) assessments and diagnosis easier and more affordable for schools and parents. By leveraging proprietary technology developed by leading experts at Johns Hopkins, the end-to-end evaluation is completed in half the time and at 1/10th the cost of typical in person evaluations. We are a rapidly growing start up, backed by some of the most mission driven and reputable venture capital firms and education non-profits.
Join us in our mission to inspire and support all students on their unique learning paths.
Marker Learning is seeking our first Senior Software Engineer
to help build our users' journey, from onboarding to evaluation, while laying the foundations of our engineering culture and practices.Key Outcomes:
- As one the first engineers at an early-stage, lead the design, implementation and deployment of new product features for both customer-facing and internal solutions
- In the first six months, build APIs to access data on the backend, followed by the frontend
- Work independently to identify product needs, create the requirements, and execute
- Own one or more of Marker's portals (used by psychologists, parents, students, etc.)
- Collaborate cross-functionally (design, operations, product) to understand the needs of external and internal users and identity high impact projects
- Help lay the foundations of our engineering culture and practices.
In addition to the above, it would be great if you also had:
- 5+ years of full stack product software engineering experience as part of an agile team
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Adaptability: Proactively uncovers problems or challenges and offers solutions with the ability to respond effectively to a changing work environment and requirements
- Autonomy: Works independently to identify product needs, create the requirements, and execute
- BS/MS in Computer Science (or equivalent field) or relevant technical experience
Who You Are
- Experience thriving in an early stage startup
- Experience with React and TypeScript
- Experience with Python and Django
- Experience with cloud-based web applications, cloud computing services and Terraform
- Experience with Relational DBs and data modeling
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
- Motivated by Marker Learning's mission to provide affordable and accessible psycho-educational evaluations to all students who need it
- Experienced with multiple parts of the stack or expert in one part of the stack and willing to delve into other layers
- Lifelong learner, always curious to broaden or deepen your knowledge on different layers of the stack or understanding Marker's context to maximize your impact
- Stronger project owner who learns tools and technologies and prototypes or researches solutions to unblocks themselves
- Team-oriented: you like contributing for a better team, making yourself and those around you better, by sharing learnings and experience, providing mentorship and supporting your teammates
- Product-focused, you are driven by polished and complete solutions that provide great experiences to end-users and customers
- A believer in reliable software and best practices: you want to move fast but you do not dispense writing high quality software, testing, and automation
- We know people from historically underrepresented communities are less likely to apply if they don't meet all of the above criteria. Please apply anyway! We want people who are fast learners, eager to take on new challenges and will help us build a best in class company that will change what it means to age.
At Marker Learning we know that our people are indispensable to achieving our mission, and we are building an inclusive environment that enables everyone to do their best work
. In that spirit, we deliberately hire people from all walks of life — including, but not limited to, race, gender identity, sexual orientation and disability status. If you're motivated by our mission and eager to contribute to our team and culture, we'd love to hear from you.Compensation:
We're committed to an inclusive, consistent, and equitable approach to compensation and anticipate that this position will earn between $160,000 and $190,000 USD annually. The exact salary will depend on (1) how many years of relevant and transferable experience you bring to the role and (2) the internal level at which you are hired in relation to our career development framework. All full time team members also receive meaningful equity in the form of a stock option grant.Benefits include:
- 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k (k) plan
- Unlimited vacation time (and the ability to use it!)
- Annual company-sponsored offsites for team collaboration
- Fully remote with generous opportunities for team building
We are a mission driven team out to provide reliable and affordable testing to every student who requires it. We believe that Marker Learning has the potential to change the evaluation landscape across the country. If you are as passionate as we are about this, we'd love to hear from you!
We are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. Marker Learning provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.