Head of Legal
We're at the beginning of the largest transfer of wealth in human history. In the coming decades, millions of mom-and-pop landlords, who own trillions of dollars of real estate, will pass their properties on to the next generation.
At some point, every landlord faces the same problem: they don't want to own, but they don't want to sell. Why? The loss of income and appreciation, depreciation recapture and capital gains, the hassles of getting a house ready to sell – the list goes on.
Flock is building the retirement solution for landlords. Our first offering is a tech-driven 721 Exchange, helping individual rental property owners seamlessly convert their real estate into shares in a professionally managed portfolio of homes. Some people call it the UPREIT; we call it "The People’s REIT."
We’re fortunate to be backed by a great group of venture capital firms, including Andreessen Horowitz, Human Capital, Susa Ventures, Box Group, and Primary Venture Partners, as well as a large network of strategic investors, including 1Sharpe Ventures, Redwood Trust (NYSE: RWT), Fred Tuomi (former CEO of Invitation Homes), and Eric Wu (former CEO of Opendoor). Since our launch two years ago we've grown from 5 homes to 500 homes, and we're just getting started.
- Oversee all legal aspects of Flock’s legal initiatives, prioritizing Flock Homes OP’s legal compliance and regulatory considerations
- Develop a framework to prepare Flock Homes OP for future regulatory registrations and examinations
- Serve as the in-house expert on tax considerations specific to the in-kind contributions to Flock Homes OP
- Review fund registration statements and other regulatory filings.
- Advise on debt and equity financings for both the Company and Flock Homes OP
- Address legal issues that arise from owning and operating real estate across state and local jurisdictions
- Provide general business counsel, corporate governance, and securities advice.
- J.D with 6-10+ years’ relevant experience as a practicing attorney in the financial services industry with intricate knowledge of fund operations.
- Deep and broad knowledge of securities laws, regulations, and practices; knowledge of broker-dealers, investment advisers, and investment companies a plus.
- Background in real estate, including transactions, financings, tax, and operational considerations.
- Excellent analytical, writing, and oral communication skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally across the organization and manage myriad of external counsel relationships
- Ability to be successful working at times within tight deadlines and timeframes
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks
- Strong sense of ownership and a commitment to excellence
- Exceptional judgment and integrity, adept at making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information
- Flexible, adaptive, and always open to learning something new
The total annual compensation of this role with be a combination of base salary and meaningful equity in the business. The annual base salary is $225,000 - $275,000 and the combined base + equity will equal in the range of $400k-$600k. The role also includes a full benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k).”
Something looks off?