Head of Engineering
The Kinetic team is on a mission to create a safer workplace and better life for the industrial workforce around the world. Kinetic has a patented wearable device, called Reflex, which sits on the wearer’s hip and alerts them when they perform a high-risk motion which could lead to an injury. Our wearable technology has been proven to reduce injuries by 55%, and has been deployed to tens of thousands of industrial workers at some of the leading Fortune 500 firms, including Pepsi, DHL and Home Depot. Starting in 2022 Kinetic partnered with Nationwide to sell Workers Compensation insurance, where policyholders get our technology for free as part of their insurance policy.
At this stage, Kinetic has approximately 50 employees across groups ranging from software development to enterprise customer success to business development for insurance. We have raised over $30M from top VC firms and partners like Primary Ventures, Nationwide Ventures, and Crosslink Capital.
Kinetic is starting to grow quickly due to the rapid growth in both its insurance product offering and enterprise sales, with 10x growth in just 2 years.
Why Senior Leaders like Working at Kinetic
Kinetic is an early stage business whose leaders are given a lot of autonomy. We look to our leaders to take full ownership of their area and solve challenging problems. It’s an environment where creative thinking, small experiments, and logical decisions flourish. There isn’t a huge bureaucracy to manage. Decisions and approvals are very fast. Support is there when you need it, and red tape isn’t in your way. This is an opportunity to expand our engineering functions to keep up with our huge growth.
You will be the leader of our entire engineering organization. This includes managing the software, hardware and data teams. You will be a member of Kinetic’s executive leadership team and be responsible for all board level communication regarding engineering.
The role will have 2 main responsibilities:
- Attract, hire, manage, and retain an excellent engineering team across all associated disciplines including software, hardware engineering, quality, and data science.
- Collaborate closely with our Head of Product to deliver on our product roadmap in a timely manner with the quality and robustness expected in an enterprise product that focuses on worker safety.
- You will own all technical systems and engineering infrastructure in the organization and be responsible for delivering on our product roadmap, with enterprise grade standards of quality and robustness.
- You will lead the engineering team in scoping projects, estimating resources required to deliver projects on time, and staffing each project appropriately.
- You will advocate for and implement best development practices, including Agile, code reviews, etc.
- You will directly manage the engineering team: this includes software, firmware and hardware engineers. You will guide high level architectural decisions and be well versed in cloud based infrastructure such as AWS.
- Attract, assess, and hire top tier talent to your team across the different disciplines. You will own the recruiting process, with support from recruiters, and will ultimately be responsible for hiring great talent. You will need to sell prospects on coming to Kinetic and be able to close them in a highly competitive job environment.
- Set strategic goals for your organization under a standard OKR framework on an annual and quarterly basis. Monitor and report progress through appropriate KPIs on a weekly basis to the Chief Strategy Officer of Kinetic.
- You have a track record of managing engineering teams of at least 10-15 people in a fast-paced startup environment. You have a strong background releasing complex, multi-disciplinary products and can point to concrete examples of products that are currently in the market.
- You have deep technical knowledge of software and data systems, and have worked on products that involve analytics and extracting business intelligence from quantitative data. Preferable if you’ve also worked on IoT products in the past and have a working knowledge of hardware and firmware.
- Experience assessing, hiring, and scaling teams in a venture-backed startup, from early to later stages. You have worked with top tier recruiting firms to quickly scale and find talent. You take ownership over a repeatable hiring process that you have used across many companies and refined over time in order to identify and recruit top talent.
- Preferable if you have specifically worked to implement new technology at scale in industrial settings
What Kinetic Offers:
- $230k-$275k base + equity
- Fully distributed, remote team across all continental US time zones
- Company provided equipment/computer (Choose your OS - employees can choose any computer they prefer)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 20 vacation days per year
- 9 federal holidays off
- Parental Leave
- Pre-tax 401k plan
- HSA with compatible health plans
- FREE: Health Advocate
- FREE: Telehealth Membership
- FREE: OneMedical Account