Certified Orton-Gillingham Tutor
About Marker Learning:
1 in 5 students has a learning disability such as dyslexia, which makes it harder for them to read, spell and write--despite their intelligence. While receiving a proper evaluation for a learning disability could be the most impactful event in a student’s life, only 4% of students receive a diagnosis because of the high costs of evaluations and lack of access to qualified psychologists. Undiagnosed students are 3x more likely to drop out of high school, 5x more likely to be unemployed, and tend to experience elevated levels of anxiety and depression. It’s estimated that early diagnosis of dyslexia and other learning disabilities could save the US over 72 billion dollars of economic impact and drastically improve the lives of millions of people.
Marker Learning is on a mission to make learning disability (e.g. dyslexia) assessments and diagnosis easier and more affordable for schools and parents. By leveraging proprietary technology developed by leading experts at Johns Hopkins, the end-to-end evaluation is completed in half the time and at 1/10th the cost of typical in person evaluations. We are a rapidly growing start up, backed by some of the most mission driven and reputable venture capital firms and education non-profits.
Join us in our mission to inspire and support all students on their unique learning paths.
What you’ll do:
- Work remotely in a quiet setting of your choosing
- Conduct 45 or 50 minute lessons via Zoom with students, implementing Orton-Gillingham principles
- Develop lessons that are engaging, appropriate for the student, and grounded in research-backed methods
- Communicate with parents and/or students about progress and scheduling via email, secure message, or (in some cases) video conferencing
- Draft weekly lesson notes that detail student progress, content covered
- Comply with confidentiality and laws and Marker Learning policies.
Qualities of an ideal candidate:
- Certified as an instructor in an Orton-Gillingham based curriculum; bonus if certified in multiple curriculum
- A minimum of two years experience teaching or tutoring student with learning differences; experience teaching remotely preferred but not required
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Professional manner and a willingness to learn our platform
- Comfort with and a working knowledge of computers and computer programs (e.g., ability to conduct a Zoom meeting, enter data into online portal)
- At least one year of tutoring or practicum experience administering an Orton-Gillingham based method
- Bachelor's degree (or higher)
- Private location with consistent, high-quality WiFi to ensure confidentiality and quality of online lessons
Employment Type: Contractor
We are a mission driven team out to provide reliable and affordable testing to every student who requires it. We believe that Marker Learning has the potential to change the evaluation landscape across the country. If you are as passionate as we are about this, we’d love to hear from you!
We are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. Marker Learning provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.