Engineering Manager - Product Engineering
About Marker Learning:
1 in 5 students has a learning disability such as dyslexia, which makes it harder for them to read, spell and write--despite their intelligence. While receiving a proper evaluation for a learning disability could be the most impactful event in a student’s life, only 4% of students receive a diagnosis because of the high costs of evaluations and lack of access to qualified psychologists. Undiagnosed students are 3x more likely to drop out of high school, 5x more likely to be unemployed, and tend to experience elevated levels of anxiety and depression. It’s estimated that early diagnosis of dyslexia and other learning disabilities could save the US over 72 billion dollars of economic impact and drastically improve the lives of millions of people.
Marker Learning is on a mission to make learning disability (e.g. dyslexia) assessments and diagnosis easier and more affordable for schools and parents. By leveraging proprietary technology developed by leading experts at Johns Hopkins, the end-to-end evaluation is completed in half the time and at 1/10th the cost of typical in person evaluations. We are a rapidly growing start up, backed by some of the most mission driven and reputable venture capital firms and education non-profits.
Join us in our mission to inspire and support all students on their unique learning paths.
At Marker, you will be shaping the technical direction of our product engineering team. You will be building and nurturing a high-performing team, not only overseeing the day-to-day operations but also actively participating in hands-on technical work, providing guidance, and fostering a collaborative and innovative culture. You will play a crucial role in honing the engineering processes, establishing best practices and defining an engineering culture that align with the startup's goals. You will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, such as product management and design, to ensure a cohesive and efficient development process that creates intuitive and efficient solutions for our students, schools, psychologists and stakeholders.
What you'll do:
- Lead and inspire a team of engineers, fostering a collaborative and innovative work environment.
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and performance feedback to team members.
- Provide technical guidance to the team through engineering design reviews, code reviews, and ad-hoc problem solving.
- Oversee the planning, execution, and delivery of engineering projects within scope, and timeline constraints.
- Ensure effective communication within the team and across departments.
- Work closely with product managers, designers, and other stakeholders to align engineering efforts with product strategy and roadmap.
Qualities of an ideal candidate:
- BSc or MSc in Computer Science (or equivalent field) or relevant technical experience.
- 3+ years of experience managing product development teams.
- Experience in hiring processes, performance management, and roadmap definition.
- Deep understanding of product development projects life cycles that balance trade-offs between short term requirements and long term reliability and extensibility.
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Nice to have:
- Experience in EdTech and Health Fields.
- Experience interacting with AI projects.
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
At Marker Learning, we know that our people are indispensable to achieving our mission, and we are building an inclusive environment that enables everyone to do their best work. In that spirit, we deliberately hire people from all walks of life — including, but not limited to, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, and disability status. We are a mission-driven team out to provide reliable and affordable testing to every student who requires it, and we believe that Marker Learning has the potential to change the evaluation landscape across the country. We'd love to hear from you if you're motivated by our mission and eager to contribute to our team and culture!
We are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. Marker Learning provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.