Senior Software Engineer - Product Engineering
About Marker Learning:
1 in 5 students has a learning disability such as dyslexia, which makes it harder for them to read, spell and write--despite their intelligence. While receiving a proper evaluation for a learning disability could be the most impactful event in a student’s life, only 4% of students receive a diagnosis because of the high costs of evaluations and lack of access to qualified psychologists. Undiagnosed students are 3x more likely to drop out of high school, 5x more likely to be unemployed, and tend to experience elevated levels of anxiety and depression. It’s estimated that early diagnosis of dyslexia and other learning disabilities could save the US over 72 billion dollars of economic impact and drastically improve the lives of millions of people.
Marker Learning is on a mission to make learning disability (e.g. dyslexia) assessments and diagnosis easier and more affordable for schools and parents. By leveraging proprietary technology developed by leading experts at Johns Hopkins, the end-to-end evaluation is completed in half the time and at 1/10th the cost of typical in person evaluations. We are a rapidly growing start up, backed by some of the most mission driven and reputable venture capital firms and education non-profits.
Join us in our mission to inspire and support all students on their unique learning paths.
At Marker, you will be join our experienced engineering team to help lead and drive top priority projects. Our Platform is aimed at providing psychologists with a comprehensive toolset to streamline client assessments, diagnosis determination, reporting and evaluation management. We are building specialized evaluation and reporting tools with AI-powered assistance features. This product also utilizes vast sums of structured and unstructured data to help Psychologists and Clinicians diagnose more efficiently. You will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, such as product management, design and operations, to ensure a cohesive and efficient development process that creates intuitive and efficient solutions for our students, schools, psychologists and internal stakeholders.
What you'll do:
- Be one the first engineers at an early-stage project, with leadership opportunities and project diversity.
- Lead the design, implementation and deployment of new product features for both user-facing and internal solutions.
- Mentor junior engineers and drive engineering design reviews to ensure high quality solutions.
- Influence medium to long term product development strategy.
- Help build the engineering culture at Marker.
Qualities of an ideal candidate:
- BSc or MSc in Computer Science (or equivalent field) or relevant technical experience;
- 6+ years of software engineering experience in a product development team as part of an agile team;
- Experience with backend languages and frameworks (e.g Python and Django);
- Strong experience with data modeling and relational DBs;
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms such as GCP (Google Cloud Platform) or AWS (Amazon Web Services).
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Nice to have:
- Expertise in a particular area of the stack. Currently we generalist heavy but bringing someone that can influence best practices and architecture on frontend or backend can be a plus.
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
At Marker Learning, we know that our people are indispensable to achieving our mission, and we are building an inclusive environment that enables everyone to do their best work. In that spirit, we deliberately hire people from all walks of life — including, but not limited to, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, and disability status. We are a mission-driven team out to provide reliable and affordable testing to every student who requires it, and we believe that Marker Learning has the potential to change the evaluation landscape across the country. We'd love to hear from you if you're motivated by our mission and eager to contribute to our team and culture!
We are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. Marker Learning provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.