Director of Real Estate
Small Door is membership-based veterinary care designed with human standards that is better for pets, pet parents, and veterinarians alike. We designed and delivered a reimagined veterinary experience via a membership that includes exceptional care, 24/7 telemedicine, and transparent pricing - delivered with modern hospitality in spaces designed by animal experts to be stress-free. We opened our flagship location in Manhattan's West Village in 2020, followed by multiple practices in the city and Brooklyn. Small Door continues to scale in 2023 by opening additional NYC locations and in markets across the northeast including Boston and Washington DC.
This is the fifth company that Small Door’s founders have been involved in building. In building Small Door, they partnered with the people responsible for beloved consumer experiences like Warby Parker and Sweetgreen, in addition to healthcare innovators such as One Medical, CityMD and Flatiron Health. Small Door has raised $40 million from Lerer Hippeau, Primary Ventures, Brand Foundry, Toba Capital, and Pentland Group. The broader management team brings experience from JustWorks, Casper, One Medical, Soulcycle, Warby Parker, Sweetgreen, The Wing, Gilt Groupe, Lightspeed, and Outbrain.
We are looking for an experienced Director of Real Estate to join our growing team. In this role you will be responsible for overseeing and managing our real estate portfolio, which includes new store openings, lease negotiations, vendor relations, and related activities. You will play a critical role in supporting our growth strategy by identifying and securing ideal locations for our storefronts, negotiating favorable lease terms, and building strong partnerships with vendors and landlords. This position requires a combination of strategic thinking, operational execution, and excellent relationship management skills.
Our Director of Real Estate will be based in NYC and work a hybrid schedule (3 days in our midtown office) and is expected to travel when necessary.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and execute a comprehensive real estate strategy aligned with the company's growth objectives and market expansion plans
- Conduct market research and analysis to identify potential store locations, evaluate site feasibility, and make data-driven recommendations for optimal store placements
- Negotiate lease agreements with landlords, ensuring favorable terms and conditions, and manage ongoing lease administration and renewals
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with vendors, contractors, and service providers to facilitate efficient store build-outs and maintenance, while optimizing costs and quality
- Collaborate with the finance team to develop and manage the real estate budget, including forecasting expenses, tracking costs, and reporting on variances
- Stay updated on local zoning regulations, building codes, and legal requirements, ensuring compliance for all storefronts
- Collaborate with internal teams, including operations, finance, and marketing, to ensure alignment in real estate decisions and support business objectives
- Lead and develop a high-performing real estate team, providing guidance, mentorship, and support to foster professional growth and achieve departmental goals
Who you are:
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience in real estate management, lease negotiations, and site selection, preferably within the retail or healthcare industry
- Proven track record of successfully managing a real estate portfolio, including new store openings and lease administration
- Strong understanding of real estate financial analysis, lease structures, and legal terms
- Knowledge of local real estate markets, zoning regulations, and building codes
- Excellent negotiation, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and external stakeholders
- Strong leadership and team management abilities
- Startup experience is a plus
What you’ll get
- Competitive salary
- Equity ownership
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- 401K (plus 4% company match)
- Upward mobility and growth opportunities
- Generous paid-time off, parental leave, and company wide holidays
- CitiBike membership, HealthAdvocate membership, One Medical membership, WageWorks commuter benefits, subsidized Class Pass membership
- Discounted veterinary care for your loved ones
- Growth opportunities
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you
- A collaborative group of people who live our core values and have your back
Come join Small Door!
Small Door is proudly a public benefit corporation and a certified B Corp. We are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. We strive to build a culture where employees can be their fullest selves and their individual contributions are valued.
Folx who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, disabled, parents, are/have been system-impacted, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or are underrepresented in the industry are encouraged to apply.