Small Door is membership-based veterinary care designed with human standards that is better for pets, pet parents, and veterinarians alike. We designed and delivered a reimagined veterinary experience via a membership that includes exceptional care, 24/7 telemedicine, and transparent pricing - delivered with modern hospitality in spaces designed by animal experts to be stress-free. We opened our flagship location in Manhattan's West Village in 2020, followed by multiple practices in the city and Brooklyn. Small Door continues to scale in 2023 by opening additional NYC locations and in markets across the northeast including Boston and Washington DC.
This is the fifth company that Small Door’s founders have been involved in building. In building Small Door, they partnered with the people responsible for beloved consumer experiences like Warby Parker and Sweetgreen, in addition to healthcare innovators such as One Medical, CityMD and Flatiron Health. Small Door has raised $40 million from Lerer Hippeau, Primary Ventures, Brand Foundry, Toba Capital, and Pentland Group. The broader management team brings experience from JustWorks, Casper, One Medical, Soulcycle, Warby Parker, Sweetgreen, The Wing, Gilt Groupe, Lightspeed, and Outbrain.
Small Door is searching for a Senior Manager of Accounting, to join our Finance team. You will work closely with our VP of Finance to build out and optimize our accounting processes.
In this position, you will be responsible for accurate and timely recording, reconciliation, analysis, and reporting, while ensuring compliance with accounting principles and company policies. The ideal candidate is comfortable building processes, working autonomously, taking initiative, wearing multiple hats and has a track record of managing complex operating expense structures.
Our Accounting Manager will be based in NYC and work a hybrid schedule (3 days in our midtown office).
What you’ll do
- Lead and oversee the accounting and financial management of operating expenses, including but not limited to fixed assets, leases, accounts payable, payroll, benefits, T&E, and general and administrative expenses
- Develop and implement accounting policies and procedures related to operating expenses, ensuring compliance with accounting standards and company policies
- Manage the monthly close process, including the accurate and timely recording of expenses, accruals, and prepayments
- Conduct detailed analysis of operating expenses, highlighting trends, anomalies, and areas for improvement. Provide insights and recommendations to management for cost savings and efficiency enhancements
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including procurement, HR, and department heads, to ensure accurate recording and allocation of payroll expenses
- Work closely with budget owners to develop and maintain expense budgets and forecasts, providing guidance and support as necessary
- Develop and implement expense control measures and cost-saving initiatives
- Prepare and present accurate and timely financial reports and analyses related to operating expenses for management and stakeholders
- Collaborate with external auditors during financial audits, providing necessary documentation and explanations
- Stay up-to-date with accounting standards, regulations, and industry best practices related to operating expenses and expense management
- Lead and develop a team of accounting professionals, providing guidance, coaching, and training as necessary
Who you are
- 4+ years of accounting experience
- 2+ years of Big 4 audit experience
- 2+ years of leadership/management experience
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and regulations, with a deep understanding of expense recognition and allocation methodologies
- Experience in managing and analyzing complex operating expense structures, including accruals, prepayments, fixed assets and leases
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to interpret financial data, identify trends, and make informed recommendations
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy, coupled with the ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines
- Proficiency in using accounting software and tools, such as ERP systems (NetSuite preferred) and expense management software
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and present financial information to non-financial stakeholders
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy in financial reporting and analysis
- Up-to-date knowledge of accounting standards, regulations, and industry trends related to operating expenses
- CPA preferred
What you'll get
- Competitive salary
- Equity ownership
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- 401K (plus 4% company match)
- Upward mobility and growth opportunities
- Generous paid-time off, parental leave, and company wide holidays
- CitiBike membership, HealthAdvocate membership, One Medical membership, WageWorks commuter benefits, subsidized Class Pass membership
- Discounted veterinary care for your loved ones
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you
- A collaborative group of people who live our core values and have your back
Come join Small Door!
Small Door is proudly a public benefit corporation and a certified B Corp. We are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. We strive to build a culture where employees can be their fullest selves and their individual contributions are valued.
Folx who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, disabled, parents, are/have been system-impacted, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or are underrepresented in the industry are encouraged to apply.