Staff/Senior Staff Software Engineer - Data Platform
About Stellar Health:
Historically, US Healthcare has relied on a fee-for-service reimbursement system where providers are paid based on the quantity of patient visits and procedures, rather than the quality of health outcomes.
At Stellar Health, we help primary care providers put patient health first. Our platform - a mix of technology, people, and analytics - supports providers at the point of care, delivering real-time patient information, activating practice staff, and empowering providers and care teams with incentives that reward the work they are already doing to keep patients healthy. Using the Stellar App, our web-based, point-of-care tool; practices receive a simple checklist of recommended actions that support the best quality care. Providers and care teams are then paid monthly for each action they complete, and Payors save money in reduced healthcare costs along the way.
Stellar is a US-based Health-tech backed by Top VCs (General Atlantic, Point72, & Primary Venture Partners) with an established product & proven operating model. We’ve shown that we make a real difference for physician practices and their patients.
About the position:
The Stellar Health engineering team has worked to build a mature engineering culture from day one. We have implemented product development best practices and operate in a way that gives every engineer, regardless of seniority, the opportunity to directly impact the product and our customers.
As a Staff Software Engineer you will be responsible for leading technical efforts that affect multiple squads to address the most pressing technical needs that impact the organization. These efforts could range from driving architectural choices, to deep dives into cross-team performance issues, to driving alignment on specific technology choices. You will work closely with other leaders to define the product roadmap, specifications, and priorities. Your work will require deep research into our codebase with the expectation that a Staff-level engineer will lead by example through research, proof of concept, design, implementation, and deliveries.
Some of the challenges you will work on solving:
- Designing services that follow the best engineering practices and patterns
- Designing data processing pipelines that scale
- Designing with security and strong privacy protection of patient health data as a central concern
- Designing foundational infrastructure that enables business intelligence and data science applications to generate useful insights
- Improving system monitoring that follows operational best practices
Who will love this job:
- You have a passion for developer productivity, great documentation, and an understanding of how to build a strong engineering culture
- You take pride in shepherding projects from ideation to completion, often requiring partnership with stakeholder teams to carefully roll out changes
- You enjoy working collaboratively across teams and disciplines to plan and sequence work
- You seek out feedback from your users and empathetically advocate for them throughout the development process
- You care about code quality and you know what it means to ship robust, production code
- You love working in an environment where you constantly experiment and iterate quickly
- You enjoy helping organize and scope high priority projects to keep us moving forward
- You consider data as a first class citizen
What you’ll do:
- Build best-in-class services and infrastructure for our platform teams
- Share in the ownership of the technical direction and impact of the platform - be responsible for consistently delivering new features and iterations to existing ones
- Work with the team to align on product roadmaps, specifications, and priorities.
- Ensure our users have a bug-free and fast experience
- Evolve the architecture to maintain velocity of shipping visible changes
- Actively contribute to Stellar’s Engineering Culture and ensure engineers are writing clear and concise production code for the Stellar Health Platform
- Provide effective and constructive feedback by reviewing others’ work
- Set consistent standards via code and design reviews, as well as your own technical contributions
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture, including but not limited to data ingestion, consumption, export
- Build high quality platform which is scalable, efficient, and flexible to handle various customer data and internal data
- Work with leaders and key stakeholders to identify the bottlenecks for the system and for the whole end to end process to improve SLO, improve data quality, and reduce manual works
As a Staff Engineer you should have:
- At least 10+ years of Software Engineering experience
- At least 3+ years of data platform experience
- Deep understanding of large scale system design, data structures, and algorithms
- Deep understanding and hands on experience of data architecture, workflow management, modeling, tooling and strategy for a large-scale and sensitive data processing system, data lakehouse
- Strong experience working with large datasets and best in class data processing technologies for both stream and batch processing using AWS technologies and frameworks, including but not limited to AWS Glue Family, Lambda, Spark
- Strong understanding of modern data processing paradigms and tooling, OLTP & OLAP fundamentals, dimensional modeling and reporting
- Familiar with other AWS technologies.
- Experience leading and coordinating cross-functional architectural projects and rollouts
- Experience writing highly available and low latency services, and know how to deploy and keep them running in production
- A strong focus on clean code and architecture. Advocate for engineering best practices that allow code to be flexible, scalable, maintainable, and approachable to other engineers
- An ability to dive deep into issues quickly and identify the root cause effectively, bringing calm and rationality to tense situations
- A demonstrated ability to work across engineering teams on projects that elevate not just our own systems and designs, but those of other teams as well
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. We work with people across time zones and backgrounds, so you need to be able to communicate both effectively and inclusively
At Stellar, we believe in transparency and we do our best to make sure the company and our candidates are on the same page as it relates to compensation. In addition to posting salary ranges for our open roles, candidates should expect to be asked about compensation expectations and requirements early on in their interview process. Our goal is to highlight when expectations and Steller's salary range may be out of sync, and work with the candidate to determine whether it makes sense to continue conversations.
Where a new hire falls within this range will be based on their individual skills and experience, and how these competencies compare across other employees in the same role. Stellar's bands are designed to allow for individual compensation growth within the role. As such, new hires typically start at the lower end of the range. Stellar rewards performance and outcomes - should you join the company, you will have the opportunity to grow your salary over time.
- The base salary range for a Staff Engineer is $220,000-$255,000 and will be eligible for an annual performance based bonus.
- The base salary range for a Senior Staff Engineer is $240,000-$270,000 and will be eligible for an annual performance based bonus.
Stellar reserves the right to change our compensation bands at any time.
Perks & Benefits:
Stellar offers a carefully curated selection of wellness benefits and perks to our employees:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Unlimited PTO (and ask our recruiting team about the ways we make sure employees are actually taking PTO)
- Universal Paid Family Leave, with up to 21 weeks of fully paid leave available to new parents and caregivers
- Company sponsored One Medical memberships and Citibike memberships
- Medical Travel Benefits
- A monthly wellness stipend that gives employees the freedom to choose where they spend their cash, whether it be on wellness, pet care, childcare, WFH items, or charitable donations
- Stock Options & a 401k matching program
- Career development opportunities like Manager Training, coaching, and an internal mobility program
- A broad calendar of company sponsored social events that for our in-office and remote employees
Diversity is the key to our success. Stellar Health is an equal opportunity employer and we are open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
We believe that diverse teams -and the different identities, cultures, and life experiences our team members bring to the table- enable us to create amazing products, find creative solutions to interesting problems, and build an inclusive working environment.
Something looks off?