About Stellar Health:
Historically, US Healthcare has relied on a fee-for-service reimbursement system where providers are paid based on the quantity of patient visits and procedures, rather than the quality of health outcomes.
At Stellar Health, we help primary care providers put patient health first. Our platform - a mix of technology, people, and analytics - supports providers at the point of care, delivering real-time patient information, activating practice staff, and empowering providers and care teams with incentives that reward the work they are already doing to keep patients healthy. Using the Stellar App, our web-based, point-of-care tool; practices receive a simple checklist of recommended actions that support the best quality care. Providers and care teams are then paid monthly for each action they complete, and Payors save money in reduced healthcare costs along the way.
Stellar is a US-based Health-tech backed by Top VCs (General Atlantic, Point72, & Primary Venture Partners) with an established product & proven operating model. We’ve shown that we make a real difference for physician practices and their patients.
About the position:
Reporting into our Finance organization, the Actuarial Lead will spearhead data initiatives and help identify potential savings opportunities for Stellar’s Accountable Care Organization.
This person will analyze complex sets of health data, bring together utilization with cost, help clinical SME’s glean actionable insights, and better manage total cost of care. The Actuarial Lead will work in close collaboration with stakeholders across the organization including our product, operations, and growth functions.
This is the first actuarial role for Stellar, and this person will have the opportunity to set foundational and best practices for this function.
As an Actuarial Lead, you will:
- Performance Analytics – Analyzes all aspects of Medicare product experience monitoring impacts from trends, MLR, risk adjustment, Stars, and regulatory impacts.
- Report on key metrics driving performance in consultation with business partners.
- Forecasting – Coordinates with FP&A to maintain a forecast model for projections of Medicare results.
- Maintains and sets key strategic assumptions with business partners in achieving business goals.
- Reserves – Works closely with Finance for review of reserves and accruals such as IBNR, RADV, sweeps accruals, and Part D reconciliation amounts.
- Provider Value Based Contracting – Reviews performance of providers in value based contracts in conjunction with Medicare product experience.
- Recommends changes in programs that drive provider engagement and improved performance of MLR, Stars, and risk adjustment.
- Be liaison helping to bridge communication and understanding between VBC commercial team and global financial team.
- Support VBC commercial efforts in modeling potential options for new deals.
- Work with the internal analytics department to develop a medical economics program that provides regular monthly updates on financial performance of VBC markets and potential opportunities to improve medical savings and medical economics.
- Build multi-year pro formas for new VBC opportunities.
- Update pro formas and forecasts for live VBC markets.
As an Actuarial Lead, you should have:
- 5+ years of experience in an accounting, actuarial, or similar function
- 3+ years direct experience using extensive historical claims files to analyze and report population level costs and drill down to service lines Pmpm cost
- Actuary certifications are required
- Accounting or Finance degree, while not required, are highly preferred
- Past experience working with Medicare claims data at a payer or risk bearing entity
- Mastery of producing pricing or pro formas based on claims and other cost data
- Excellent communication skills with comfort presenting to executive audiences
- Proven ability to manage priorities, projects, and stakeholder relationships in a highly matrixed environment
- Prior experience in supporting value based/downside risk contracts for medical claims costs
- Ability to use historical population level data and create predictive quartiles of performance outcomes (cost) to help access both overall risk of deals and help in decisions like reinsurance
At Stellar, we believe in transparency and we do our best to make sure the company and our candidates are on the same page as it relates to compensation. In addition to posting salary ranges for our open roles, candidates should expect to be asked about compensation expectations and requirements early on in their interview process. Our goal is to highlight when expectations and Stellar's salary range may be out of sync, and work with the candidate to determine whether it makes sense to continue conversations.
Where a new hire falls within this range will be based on their individual skills and experience, and how these competencies compare across other employees in the same role. Stellar's bands are designed to allow for individual compensation growth within the role. As such, new hires typically start at the lower end of the range. Stellar rewards performance and outcomes - should you join the company, you will have the opportunity to grow your salary over time.
- The base salary range for the Actuarial Lead is $150,000-$175,000 and will be eligible for equity and an annual performance based bonus.
Perks & Benefits:
Stellar offers a carefully curated selection of wellness benefits and perks to our employees:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Unlimited PTO (and ask our recruiting team about the ways we make sure employees are actually taking PTO)
- Universal Paid Family Leave, with up to 21 weeks of fully paid leave available to new parents and caregivers
- Company sponsored One Medical memberships and Citibike memberships
- Medical Travel Benefits
- A monthly wellness stipend that gives employees the freedom to choose where they spend their cash, whether it be on wellness, pet care, childcare, WFH items, or charitable donations
- Stock Options & a 401k matching program
- Career development opportunities like Manager Training, coaching, and an internal mobility program
- A broad calendar of company sponsored social events that for our in-office and remote employees
Diversity is the key to our success. Stellar Health is an equal opportunity employer and we are open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
We believe that diverse teams -and the different identities, cultures, and life experiences our team members bring to the table- enable us to create amazing products, find creative solutions to interesting problems, and build an inclusive working environment.
At Stellar Health, your privacy and security as a job seeker is a priority no matter where you are in the interview process. As recruiting scams have become more prevalent, please take note of the following practices to ensure the legitimacy of any interaction with our team.
- Please note that any communication from our recruiters and hiring managers at Stellar Health about a job opportunity will only be made by a Stellar Health employee with an @stellar.health email address.
- Stellar Health does not utilize third-party agencies for recruitment services and does not conduct text message or chat-based interviews. Any other email addresses, agencies, or forums may be phishing scams designed to obtain your personal information.
- We will not ask you to provide personal or financial information, including, but not limited to, your social security number, online account passwords, credit card numbers, passport information, and other related banking information until we begin onboarding activities, which will be coordinated by a member of the Stellar Health People Ops Team with an @stellar.health email address.
If you are ever unsure whether you are in contact with a legitimate Stellar Health teammate, please contact email@example.com. If you believe you've been a victim of a phishing attack, please mark the communication as “spam” and immediately report it by contacting the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.