Director of Customer Experience
Alma is on a mission to simplify access to high-quality, affordable mental health care. We do this by making it easy and financially rewarding for therapists to accept insurance and offer in-network care. When a provider joins Alma, they gain access to a suite of tools that not only help them better run their business, but also grow it sustainably and develop as a provider. Alma is available in all 50 states, with over 11,000 therapists in our growing network. Anyone looking for a therapist can browse Alma’s free directory. Alma has raised $220.5M in funding from Insight Partners, Optum Ventures, Tusk Venture Partners, Primary Venture Partners, Sound Ventures, BoxGroup, Cigna Ventures, and Rainfall Ventures. Alma was also named one of Inc’s Best Workplaces in 2022.
Director of Customer Experience
As a Director of Customer Experience at Alma, you’ll be responsible for designing, building, and growing a scalable support function. You will coach and support CX managers and inspire the entire support team. You will leverage your expertise to partner on building systems and processes that scale and work cross-functionally to deliver an exceptional experience to our members. Internally, you will create an inclusive, equitable culture, empowering each individual on our CX team to do their best work in an encouraging environment.
You will work closely with key departments across Alma— Product Management, Data, Marketing, Community— and especially our Operations department, the engine behind our core offering.
Our CX function is like no other— insurance, especially mental health benefits, is complex. Scaling our support will require sharp operational skill sets, a curious mind, and high cultural competency. Our Customer Experience team is committed to helping our members provide quality care and supporting those seeking care to be equipped and empowered with the information they need to navigate their mental health benefits.
As a leader of this team, you'll be instrumental in Alma’s ability to make it easy to find high-quality, affordable mental health care.
What you’ll do:
- Lead and manage the support function on the Customer Experience team, including managing Customer Experience Managers, and a team of 60+ remote employees
- Partner with Customer Experience leadership to identify operational bottlenecks and trends, using data and analytics to prioritize work, design process changes, and optimize existing workflows for continued growth
- Collaborate cross-functionally to surface qualitative and quantitative trends to enable the broader Alma organization to deliver an exceptional experience to providers and clients
- Define high standards of quality and equip and empower the team to deliver on those standards
- Create, lead, and foster team engagement initiatives that are inclusive and growth-oriented
Who you are:
- You have 6+ years of experience managing a multi-layer team (managing managers), including developing strong leaders underneath you, with a demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion
- You have 8+ years of work experience in customer experience and customer success, ideally at a high-growth startup
- You have strong analytical skills, with experience structuring data in Excel, leveraging BI tools (like Looker), and can break down complex issues into structured frameworks and actionable insights to rally stakeholders and your team to take action
- You are comfortable with tech, often an early adopter, and have extensive experience with CRM tools. Experience with Zendesk and/or Salesforce is a huge plus
- You have cultural humility, can build relationships across differences, and have excellent interpersonal communication skills
- You are passionate about our mission and the future of mental healthcare
- You are a highly organized team player with excellent communication skills and a customer-centric attitude
- Prior experience in healthcare, specifically mental health, is a plus, but not required
- We’re a remote-first company
- Health insurance plans through Cigna (medical and dental) and MetLife (vision), including FSA & HSA plans
- 401k plan (Roth and traditional)
- Free Alma platform access
- Monthly therapy and wellness stipends
- Monthly co-working space membership stipend
- Monthly work-from-home stipend to power your wifi, lunches, coffee, etc
- Pet discount program through United Pet Care
- Financial perks and rewards through BenefitHub
- Free EAP access through LifeWorks
- One-time home office stipend to set up your home office
- Comprehensive parental leave plans
- 9 paid holidays, 1 Alma Mental Health Day, and 1 Alma Volunteering Day
- Unlimited PTO
Salary Band: $155,000 - $175,000
Alma’s compensation philosophy is driven by our company value of building equity. To best ensure pay equity, we typically bring in new hires near the middle of our listed salary bands and we do not negotiate our compensation (i.e. all people hired at the same level & role are brought in at the same salary, equity, and benefits). The recruiter you work with can provide more details on our philosophy.
All Alma jobs are listed on our careers page. We do not use outside applications or automated text messaging in our recruiting process. We will not ask for any sensitive financial or identification information throughout the recruiting process. Any communication during the recruitment process, including interview requests or job offers, will come directly from a recruiting team member with a helloalma.com email address.