Engineering Manager (Mobile), Consumer
Ilir Sela started Slice with the belief that local pizzerias deserve all of the advantages of major franchises without compromising their independence. Starting with his family’s pizzerias, we now empower over tens of thousands of restaurants with the technology, services, and collective power that owners need to better serve their digitally minded customers and build lasting businesses. We’re growing and adding more talent to help fulfil this valuable mission. That’s where you come in.
The Challenge to Solve
We’re looking for a proven Product Engineering leader to help us rapidly evolve our consumer app architecture and user experiences, while also making Slice the best job ever for our world class engineering talent.
Technology is at our core. As such, this role demands a strong understanding of the software lifecycle, iOS & Android development . Experience with backend technologies (microservices & AWS especially) and Web applications are a major plus too. You’ll have a passion for leading on architecture and leveraging the talents of your engineers to arrive at great solutions, together. You’ll be data driven in how you make decisions, and you’ll help your teams do the same.
You’ll put people first, always, to achieve success. You’ll care about your team members’ personal development, both challenging and supporting them while they build and evolve truly world class products.
You’ll have experience in leading multiple product engineering teams in parallel, often focussing on cutting edge technologies and the latest approaches to mobile product development. You’ll thrive in enabling your teams, and building strong relationships across departments.
Last but not least, you will be laser focused on quality - right across our processes, our products and in the experiences your team will gain from your leadership.
Slice’s consumer mobile teams are organised around the key parts of our user experience flows, covering everything from onboarding new users through to ordering and ultimately re-ordering. We’re passionate about monitoring, measuring, experimenting, learning and iterating over our product offerings.
You will directly manage a number of Lead Engineers and report to the Director of Consumer Engineering. You’ll be passionate about creating engineering excellence, best-in-class user experiences and ensuring your engaged, highly motivated teams deliver positive impacts for the consumers and shops on our platform. Sustainably.
The Winning Recipe
We’re looking for creative, entrepreneurial leaders who are excited to build world-class products for small business counters. These are the core competencies this role calls for:
- Minimum of 7 years experience working in consumer facing product engineering orgs
- 2+ years leading multiple, cross functional, product engineering teams (think 4-6 engineers per team, plus collaboration with design, QA, Product and DevOps partners)
- You have specialised in at least one of iOS or Android development in the past, and be open to embracing both equally
- Experienced in the use of SwiftUI, Swift for iOS; Jetpack Compose and Kotlin for Android
- Familiarity with MVVM, backends for frontends, among other design patterns
- Performance management of Engineers at all levels from Junior to Principal
- Comfort in working with uncertainty, while driving change
- Positively influencing directs, peers and more senior leaders
- A strong understanding of backend tech including microservices. Languages including: Go, Python, Ruby On Rails are a major advantage in this role
- Web application development experience is also strongly desirable
Working at Slice comes with a comprehensive set of benefits, but here are some of the unexpected highlights:
- Access to medical, dental, and vision plans
- Flexible working hours
- Generous time off policies
- £200 per annum employee wellbeing allowance
- Market leading maternity and paternity schemes
- Discounts for local pizzerias (of course)
The Hiring Process
Here’s what we expect the hiring process for this role to be, should all go well with your candidacy. This entire process is expected to take 1-3 weeks to complete and you’d be expected to start on a specific date.
- 30 minute introductory meeting
- 60 minute meeting with our Director of Engineering
- 2 x 60 minute Leadership and Technical Interviews with a selection of your future peers and directs
- CTO meeting
Pizza brings people together. Slice is no different. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and embrace a diversity of backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. We are also proud members of the Diversity Mark NI initiative as a Bronze Member.