Small Door is membership-based veterinary care designed with human standards that is better for pets, pet parents, and veterinarians alike. We designed and delivered a reimagined veterinary experience via a membership that includes exceptional care, 24/7 telemedicine, and transparent pricing - delivered with modern hospitality in spaces designed by animal experts to be stress-free. We opened our flagship location in Manhattan's West Village in 2020, followed by multiple practices in the city and Brooklyn. Small Door continues to scale in 2023 by opening additional NYC locations and in markets across the northeast including Boston and Washington DC.
This is the fifth company that Small Door’s founders have been involved in building. In building Small Door, they partnered with the people responsible for beloved consumer experiences like Warby Parker and Sweetgreen, in addition to healthcare innovators such as One Medical, CityMD and Flatiron Health. Small Door has raised $40 million from Lerer Hippeau, Primary Ventures, Brand Foundry, Toba Capital, and Pentland Group. The broader management team brings experience from JustWorks, Casper, One Medical, Soulcycle, Warby Parker, Sweetgreen, The Wing, Gilt Groupe, Lightspeed, and Outbrain.
What you'll do
People Management and Leadership
- Manage, develop, and lead a high-performing team in providing exceptional hospitality and care
- Create opportunities for team bonding as a practice
- Lead team meetings in collaboration with the Managing Veterinarian and Managing Nurse, ensuring relevant information sharing
- Uphold a culture of safety, compliance, collaboration, and inclusivity
- Manage bi-weekly payroll for all hourly practice employees
- Take ownership of and handle escalated situations with members to ensure resolution; enlisting the support of Regional Leadership as needed
- Maintain a 360° view of the practice and lead the team in ensuring that all facilities and brand standards are being met
- Oversee and analyze your practice’s P&L and revenue by type, identifying trends and growing top line revenue with support from regional leadership
- Manage your practice’s budget with an eye toward building and maintaining profitability (including COGs, labor, and inventory management)
- Collaborate with Managing Veterinarian and regional leadership to optimize average care transaction (ACT) and ensure consistency in invoicing
- Manage and optimize the appointment schedule, including surgery and specialist bookings, with an eye towards maximizing utilization of our doctors and nurses while ensuring adequate coverage
- Partner with HQ and regional leadership to create, review, improve and implement new initiatives and processes; ensure they are followed by all practice team members
Who you are
- 4+ years working in a veterinary or human healthcare practice and at least 2 years experience directly managing a team, coaching performance, and leading through change
- Experience in a hospitality role and/or fast-paced startup is a plus but not required
- Strong business acumen and using data to achieve valuable insights
- Comfortable with navigating technology platforms including Excel and Google Suite
- Emotionally intelligent and autonomous
- Customer service-oriented and focused on the details
- This is a full-time position - typically Monday through Friday - however, as a leader of one of our practices, you are expected to have the flexibility to work occasional weekend or evening duties
What you'll get
- Competitive salary and team bonus, $75,000-95,000 annually
- Equity ownership
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- 401K (plus 4% company match)
- Upward mobility and growth opportunities
- Generous paid time off, parental leave, and company-wide holidays
- HealthAdvocate membership, One Medical membership, WageWorks commuter benefits, ClassPass membership
- Discounted veterinary care for your loved ones
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you
- A collaborative team of people who live our core values and have your back
Come join Small Door!
Small Door is proudly a public benefit corporation and a certified B Corp. We are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. We strive to build a culture where employees can be their fullest selves and their individual contributions are valued.
Folx who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, disabled, parents, are/have been system-impacted, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or are underrepresented in the industry are encouraged to apply.